It had been over 5 years since I’d taken any significant time away from both my professional and academic obligations, but recently I received a blessing from heaven.
The opportunity to spend some time exploring the Gulf Coast of Florida with my family. Florida is a dream destination for those who live in the northeastern United States. The warm sun and palm trees are a sharp contrast to the gloom and chill that characterize nearly a third of our year (although they don’t compete with the soft glow of winter snow on a Christmas morning).
It felt strange at first, but it didn’t take long for me to settle into a cycle of spiritual rejuvenation. I decided early on to use the quiet of the tropical mornings to breathe new life into my walk with God. Here’s what I learned.
Life Lessons and Spiritual Growth on the Road
Not necessarily in that order:
- Not all Waffle Houses are created equal.
- The word normal is an oppressive expression, and it shouldn’t be used as a scale to weigh the “rightness” of family life in our homes. In order for our families to thrive we need to redefine what normal life looks in the context of relationships in our homes; forget the cookie cutter approach to your life and don’t try to apply it to others (I already knew this, but meditating on my trip confirmed it).
- By meditating on the personality of Christ we come to know the character of the Father.
- When all else fails, focus on the blessings you’ve received as a proof of God’s presence in your life.
- Even a tortoise can be an attention hog.
- God blesses each of his children with the opportunity to create a legacy out of his/her life; so that we can serve as inspiration to others. Whether we choose to or not is a choice we can’t hesitate to make.
- To be the light of the world we need to release the negativity from our life; no matter how uncomfortable it is in the beginning.
- We need to focus how we use our time; so we can be free to love when the moment arises.
- $75.00 is a small price to pay for piece of mind when it comes to the safety of your family. I’m grateful I was blessed with the resources to make the right choice.
- Even life in paradise on this planet gets boring. I’m so happy to be home!